facebook-logo twitter-logo

Menu
  • Parent Category: News

Fire guts Watseka house

The state Fire Marshall is investigating a house fire in Watseka Tuesday afternoon that did significant damage.

Assistant Fire Chief Tim Ketchum reported damage to the basement and first floor at 815 South 4th Street.

Ketchum said the fire started in the side of the house, the age of the structure made it difficult for firefighters to get a handle on the flames, he said. It was a neighbor who spotted smoke coming from the dryer vent and chimney.

No injury was reported. The homeowner, Harold Longfellow, was not home at the time.

Mutual aid came from six departments, including Crescent City, Woodland, Martinton, Ashkum, Sheldon and Kentland, IN.

94.1 WGFA