Up to four-dozen people from the LeVasseur elementary school in Bourbonnais were taken to local hospitals Thursday afternoon after complaints of nausea and headaches.
Bourbonnais Fire Protection Chief Ed St. Louis said all but just a few were students. He said the problem appeared to be a back-up generator that malfunctioned, causing increased levels of carbon monoxide.
St. Louis said a contractor will inspect the school building. Classes and other activities are resuming today (Friday) after yesterday’s evacuation.
The fire department was called just after 1 pm when a couple dozen students and three other staff members became ill. Several students complained of headaches and nausea.
Those affected were treated at Presence St. Mary’s and Riverside Hospitals in Kankakee.