facebook-logo twitter-logo

Menu
  • Parent Category: ROOT

World News

Search concludes for US Marine reported overboard west of Philippines
Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images (NEW YORK) -- After a five day search that covered approximately 13,000 square nautical miles, the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps are ending a search and rescue operation for a missing Marine, the Marine Corps said on Tuesday.The Marine was reported overboard by the USS Essex on the morning of August 9, as the ship was conducting routine operations in the Sulu Sea west of the Philippines.The U.S. Embassy in the Philippines, U.S. Coast Guard District 14, and Singapore Information Fusion Centre provided additional support to the search and rescue efforts that spanned approximately 13,000 square nautical...
Read more...
At least 25 dead after cars plunge off collapsed bridge in Italy
Italian National Police (GENOA, Italy) -- A section of a towering highway bridge collapsed in Italy Tuesday, sending vehicles plunging nearly 300 feet to the ground and killing at least 25 people, officials said.The collapse of the Morandi Bridge in Genoa occurred during strong storms moving through the area of northwest Italy, according to authorities.At least 30 vehicles were on the bridge in a port section of the city when the span gave way, Amalia Tedeschi, a firefighter, told the Italian news agency ANSA. Two people were pulled from the rubble alive and taken to a hospital by helicopter, Tedeschi...
Read more...
Suspected terrorist crashes car into cyclists and barrier at British Parliament
ABC News (LONDON) --London Metropolitan Police officials arrested a man who allegedly drove into a group of cyclists and crashed into the barriers outside the British Parliament in Westminster on Tuesday. The incident is being treated as a terrorist incident, authorities said."Given that this appears to be a deliberate act, the method and this being an iconic site, we are treating it as a terrorist incident and the investigation is being led by officers from the Counter Terrorism Command," Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner Neil Basu said during a news conference.Authorities are working to identify the driver and establish his motive,...
Read more...
US soldier in Afghanistan dies from wounds in roadside blast
U.S. Army (WASHINGTON) -- A U.S. Army soldier has died from wounds sustained when a roadside bomb detonated near him while he was on patrol in southern Afghanistan, the Pentagon announced Monday. Staff Sgt. Reymund Rarogal Transfiguracion is the fifth American military service member to be killed in Afghanistan this year.Transfiguracion, 36, of Waikoloa, Hawaii, sustained his injuries on August 7 while on a combat patrol in Helmand Province in southern Afghanistan. The Pentagon said in a statement that the incident is under investigation.He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, where...
Read more...
Inside the global manhunt for a father accused of dumping his infant in New York's East River
WABC-TV (NEW YORK) -- The crime was extreme, even by New York City’s already extreme standards: a 7-month-old found by a tourist floating lifelessly in the murky water of the East River.Though it didn’t take long to identify a prime suspect, the baby’s father, police feared they might not get him because he had fled to Asia.But, in what seemed like almost no time, James Currie, 37, was sitting in an interrogation room in the Bangkok airport being questioned by NYPD Sgt. Edward Lee."There was a little bit of a stunned reaction," Lee told ABC News. "When I opened the...
Read more...
US general pushing Saudis to investigate deadly Yemen strike: Pentagon
iStock/Thinkstock (WASHINGTON) -- The three-star American general dispatched by Defense Secretary James Mattis to look into last week's deadly Saudi airstrike in Yemen is pushing Riyadh to conduct a "timely and transparent investigation" into the incident, according to a Pentagon spokesperson.In a statement on Monday, Lt. Cmdr. Rebecca Rebarich told ABC News that the unidentified three-star general "adjusted his already scheduled visit to Saudi Arabia to discuss the incident with the Saudis and look into the situation."The airstrike occurred last Thursday morning, killing at least 50 people including dozens of children traveling on a bus in the country’s Saada Province,...
Read more...
Meghan Markle's dad claims he lied to Prince Harry, hung up on him
Steve Parsons - WPA Pool/Getty Images (LONDON) -- After vowing to never speak to the press again, Meghan Markle’s father has done just that.Thomas Markle penned a new op-ed in the U.K.’s The Mail on Sunday, attempting to debunk rumors that he faked his own heart attack just before his daughter wed Prince Harry on May 19.He also wrote that he just wants his “quiet boring life back” and admitted he lied to Harry, the sixth in line to the British throne, about staging paparazzi photos and hung up on him in a phone conversation.Thomas Markle, who lives in Mexico,...
Read more...
At least 69 including 17 children dead in apartment building blast in Syria: Monitoring group
iStock/Thinkstock (LONDON) -- The death toll from an explosion in an apartment building in rebel-held northwestern Syria has risen to 69, including 17 children, a monitoring group said on Monday.The explosion happened on Sunday morning in the town of Sarmada, when a weapons depot in the basement of an apartment building detonated, according to the U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Most of the residents in the building had been displaced from Syria’s Homs province, the organization said.Fifty-two of those killed were civilians, including 17 children, and the rest were mostly rebel fighters, the monitoring group said.The White Helmets, a...
Read more...
Ukrainian film director Oleg Sentsov has been on hunger strike for 90 days
Isa Foltin/Getty Images (MOSCOW) -- Oleg Sentsov has not eaten for 90 days.For nearly three months, the Ukrainian film director has been on a hunger strike in a remote Russian prison, where advocates say he is being held as a political prisoner.Sentsov, 42, was arrested in 2014 when Russian seized his native Crimea from Ukraine. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison on terrorism charges in a trial that Amnesty International condemned as “Stalinist.”He was then sent to a high-security prison colony in Russia’s far north inside the Arctic Circle.On May 14, Sentsov declared a hunger strike, demanding the...
Read more...
Iran fired ballistic missile as part of naval exercise
iStock/Thinkstock (STRAIGHT OF HORMUZ, Iran) -- Iran fired a short range anti-ship missile last week as part of the short notice naval exercise it held near the Strait of Hormuz, according to two U.S. officials. Earlier this week the top U.S. commander in the Middle East said the Iranian naval exercise was intended to send a message to the U.S. about the resumption of economic sanctions against Iran.According to a U.S. official an anti-ship version of the Fatah-110 short range ballistic missile was fired from land in the vicinity of the Strait of Hormuz and landed in the waters of...
Read more...
Germany loosens ban on Nazi symbols in video games
iStock/Thinkstock (BERLIN) -- Hitler-style mustaches and swastikas can now be used in video games in some instances, German regulators have ruled.Germany's constitution forbids the use of symbols deemed "anti-constitutional," including Nazi party-affiliated symbols, and violation of those rules can result in jail time. Yet although such symbols can be used in certain sectors under artistic freedom laws -- for example, in films portraying the Nazi era -- the video gaming industry had long been a gray area.This week, the German Entertainment Software Self Regulation Body (USK), which is tasked with regulating content in the video game industry, determined that Hitler-style...
Read more...
Rebels welcome call for investigation into airstrike in Yemen that killed dozens of children
ABC News (SAADA, Yemen) -- Houthi rebels welcomed a call for an international investigation into an airstrike that killed dozens of children traveling on a school bus in Yemen's Saada province Thursday."We welcome the call of the United Nations secretary general and are ready to cooperate," Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, the senior leader of the Shiite Houthi group, said in a tweet in Arabic on Friday.U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres condemned the airstrike by the U.S.-backed, Saudi-led coalition and called for an "independent and prompt investigation" into the attack in a statement on Thursday.On Friday, the Saudi-led coalition announced it would investigate...
Read more...