Lanes Opened to Improve Traffic Flow
SPRINGFIELD – The Memorial Day holiday weekend is expected to be a busy one on Illinois roads. Today, the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) announced that non-emergency roadwork will be suspended, where possible, from 3 p.m. Friday, May 22 until 12 a.m. Tuesday, May 26.
Lanes will be opened where possible, in an effort to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion for holiday travelers. Motorists should be alert, as lane closures in some work zones will remain in effect. Please slow down, eliminate distractions, and use extra caution while driving through all work zones. Work zone speed limits remain in effect wherever they are posted.
The following is a list of lane closures that will remain in place this weekend:
• I-57, MP 297 to MP 283; Multiple projects, multiple work zones. One lane closed in each direction. Recommended alternate route is US 45.
• IL 1, north of US 24 in Watseka; bridge replacement. One lane open, controlled by signals.
• Long Point Road, just west of IL 23; bridge deck replacement. One lane open, controlled by signals.
• I-57, MP 310; replacing Kankakee River bridges. One lane open in each direction.
• Minooka Road Bridge CLOSED over I-80; bridge replacement, no detour is posted.
• Lisbon Road Bridge CLOSED over I-80; bridge replacement, no detour is posted.
• US 150 (Martin Luther King) between Oakwood and Interstate 74 over the Salt Fork Vermilion River next to Vermilion County Fairgrounds. US 150 will narrow down to one lane with barrier wall in place. Traffic signals will be in use to direct traffic.
• IL 119 Near Alvin over the North Fork Vermilion River. IL 119 will narrow down to one lane with barrier wall in place. Traffic signals will be in use to direct traffic.