Ashkum, IL – During Illinois Rail Safety Week, which runs from September 14th to September 20th, the Illinois State Police District 21 wants to promote safety for both motorists and pedestrians around railroad tracks. Most Americans are unaware of the dangers associated with railroad crossings and trains. Did you know, according to Operation Lifesaver, that across the United States;
- 333 - Number in millions of vehicles that cross railroad tracks every day.
- 270 - Number of people killed in 2012 at highway rail grade crossings.
- 442 - Number of people killed in 2012 trespassing on railroad property.
- 18 - Number of football fields it takes a freight train, traveling at 55 mph, to stop.
- 50 - Percentage of vehicle/train collisions that occur at crossings with active warning devices (lights, gates, bells).
- 212,600 - Approximate number of at grade highway rail crossings in the United States.
- 40 - Times you are more likely to die in a crash with a train than you are to die in a vehicle crash.
- 3 - Average time, in hours, between each incident where a vehicle or pedestrian is struck by a train.
When crossing railroad tracks, you must always follow the law and be aware of your surroundings! For more information about Illinois Rail Safety Week, please visit www.illinoisrailsafetyweek.org.