Tammy Blackwell may owe her life to a stranger from Kentucky. The Newton County woman was asleep in her home (Thursday) when a passerby woke her up to notify her the house was on fire.
That stranger was gone when firemen arrived at the scene.
Firefighters from Morocco were helped by Lake and Lincoln Township and Lowell in answering the call to McClellan Township in Newton County.
The location was along U-S. 41 between Morocco and Lake Village.
Morocco Fire Chief Corrie Myers said there were several calls to 911 from drivers about a structure fire at 600 North, which intersects with U.S. 41.
The garage of the home belonging to Bill and Tammy Blackwell was engulfed when firemen arrived.
The stranger who wokeTammy up was from Kentucky. He was gone by the time fire crews arrived.
Chief Myers said 20 firemen were at the scene from 8:30 am ‘til 2:30 pm. The garage and breezeway were a total loss. The cause was found to be electrical.
The State Fire Marshall is investigating.